Sunday, March 16, 2008

"General Review of the Sex Situation"

When reading the question on page 727, I immediately interpreted an “audible voice” in poetry as something that I can understand, that I can “get” easily, and I know exactly where the speaker stands. Flipping through the book I fell upon “General Review of the Sex Situation” by Dorothy Parker. I read through it and it was quite simple. The speaker says what she feels in a very straight forward way. She feels as though women live completely for love and men have no time for it. She praises women throughout the poem and makes derogatory comments towards men. As the reader you know exactly how the speaker is feeling and where she stands on this matter. In line 7 and 8, the speaker tells the reader “With this the gist and sum of it, What earthly good can come of it?” These lines show that there isn’t much to it. It’s pretty simple to understand-even though women want love and live for it, they would be better off not loving the man because men are incapable of love.

No comments: