Monday, September 15, 2008

A&P

When I started reading the story “A&P” I had to laugh because it reminded of having a discussion with some of my friends. This came right from the start when the writer is describing the three girls that came into the A&P. “In walks these three girls in nothing but bathing suits” (220). Other examples of this included how the girls were described in such detail. Another piece of this text that made me think of having a discussion with my buddies was when the author back tracks in his story to give us more information about a character. “The responsible married man finding his voice. I forgot to say he thinks he’s going to be manager some sunny day…” (221). My first impression of this story was that it was an actual event in the author’s life and after reading the author’s notes I found out that I was right. I can relate to his story because he is only a year older than me in his story (18). I really liked this story simply because of the conversational style that it was written. When Sammy quit his job, I had two thoughts. The first was, “Good job man! You really showed him!” but the second was, “What are you doing?” When Sammy first left the store, it seemed like he just wanted to follow the three girls. However, when he went outside and “they’re gone, of course” (pg. 224), he didn’t turn around to go back into the store. This showed me that he was truly unhappy with his job.

3 comments:

Sheila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheila said...

Just a helpful hint- The name of the story is "A&P" : )

Jenn said...

Any of you can edit your own posts if you notice misspellings or other errors. Just log-in to the blog and instead of the "New Post" link, click the "Edit Posts" link. You'll see an edit link next to your post.