Saturday, September 6, 2008

"Story of an Hour"

I had mixed reactions to the “Story of an Hour”. The begging started out slow as the writer set the plot. I felt a strong connection to Mrs. Mallard. This was not a usual depiction of grief which I very much appreciated. I was heart broken as she slowing came to realize that, “There would be no one to live for during those coming years; she would live for herself.” I was not heartbroken for her loss but in the life unlived. To be married to man that she never felt love from, “And yet she had loved him-sometimes.” I found myself drifting off thinking of women of the past that were so limited by the rules of society. As I kept reading and as foreshadowed in the beginning I knew that Mr. Mallard would not be dead. I guess this is what made her realization even more tragic. The part that I did not like was the fact of Mrs. Mallard’s heart condition and death at the end. It was so jarring and did not supply any closer. To me it diminished the power of the story. Overall I really enjoyed the story and felt like I was given a window into the past.

No comments: