Sunday, November 23, 2008

"Do not go gentle into that good night"

The poem "Do not go gentle into that good night" by Dylan Thomas caused me to feel a mixture of emotions along with the speaker. This poem is about about a child, most likely grown up, waiting by their father's side as he is on his deathbed. The feeling of death is strong and present, the child knows his father is dying and will die soon. Another feeling of the poem is strength, the child wants his father to go down fighting."Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight/Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay" (Lines 13-14). He does not want his father to die peacefully and quiet, he wants his father to fight for every breathe until he can not do it anymore. This shows the child's strong love for his father. "Do not go gentle into that good night/Rage, rage against the dying of the light" (Lines 18-19) is an example of the child's desire for his father to fight against death. I do not understand the pain of losing a parent, but I agree with the speakers' passion for not wanting his father to go easily to death. "Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray" (Line 17) demonstrates how the speaker realized that he could not help his father any longer. In the end, the speaker seemed to feel a little more reassurance when he was able to pray to God for his father. Overall, the speaker was angry that his father was dying but felt a little better when he was able to realize he would go into the hands of God.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When it comes to people that we love and cannot live without them, when we see them in deathbed we wish if they can fight and live more even for few moments.
When my grandmother was in her deathbed and doctors said only few days left for her, although I wished she had more time to live, I could not wait to see her die in front of my eyes. I left because I did not want death to take her from me. I wanted to remember her alive waiting me to come and visit her.