Thursday, September 24, 2009

I Stand Here Ironing

"I Stand Here Ironing" is a story that portrays a time in the depression era. When men and women got married back then and had kids it seems to be as if it was forced, or as if that is what the right thing to do was. The narrator or Emily's mom feels fuilt throughout most of the story. I believe the reason for this is because when Emily was a baby she was such a happy baby and as Emily grows, she becomes more of a isolated, sad child who rarely eats and has no good friends. I feel as if the mom thinks that she has never really been able to show Emily that she cares and that she does love her just the way she is. At one point in the story an old man gently states," You should smile at Emily more when you look at her." What was in my face when I looked at her? I loved her." (Olsen, p. 284) She seems to be very confused by this statement and almost apalled. I believe that she has been as best of a mom as she could be at the time. I think maybe she could have been a bit more supportive of her daughter instead of sending her off to some school to try to help her. You can tell though that she cares for her deeply and that as time goes on she tries to be a better mom. My favorite passage of this story is "Let her be. So all that is in her will not bloom--but in how many does it? There is still enough left to live by. Only help her to know---help make it so there is cause for her to know---that she is more than this dress on the ironing board, helpless before the iron." (Olsen, p. 289) I believe what she meant by this is there is still time to grow and learn and sometimes children must do it on their own, but is Emily were to ever need help that she is there for her. She will not be ironing her dress on the board for her forever, she will let her be. ----Krista Eide

No comments: