Monday, February 18, 2008

I Stand here Ironing

I believe the events that occurred in “I Stand here Ironing” could still occur today but wouldn’t be as bad. There are many young mothers still today, and it seems like the numbers keep increasing. Today I believe that the mothers of these young mothers help out more financially than in the 1930’s. One sentence in “I Stand here Ironing” is her mother talking to her and saying “Even if I came, what good would it do”(283). Today, mothers would usually jump at the chance to help out their children raise their own grandchildren. I know my mother would be there for me and my children. Today there are also facilities that will pay for the baby’s food and formula such as WIC. Young mothers can get finical help and other help such as medical assistance. Back in the 1930’s they had no government programs to help young mothers make the best life for their young children since the depression was going on. I believe our government has become more involved with young mothers compared to the 1930’s.

No comments: