Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Lottery

I have no idea how on earth a ritual such as the lottery can be held year after year. To me it is very wrong to throw stones at someone just because they drew a slip of paper with a black pencil mark on it. I don’t understand how a ritual like that is even humane. I don’t believe anyone moves in the end of this ritual because they are scared to change the way things have always been. People in our society today are very concerned about fitting in and ending a ritual that has gone on for many years would make them an outsider. I believe a situation that is a modern day counterpart to the lottery is when people smoke. Smokers know that it is wrong to smoke and can damage their health but they still do it. I believe it is because there are so many people in society that do smoke that it is almost like a norm for people now days. I believe that a lot of people do follow and don’t lead. I find myself in situations where I am just following the crowd and not thinking about what I really believe in.

No comments: