Monday, February 11, 2008

I Stand Here Ironing

This story is disheartening on so many levels. I almost strikes a nerve with me. What I am about to post will give answer to both questions we were to choose from.
Things are not any different today than they were during this story's era. This single mom had to work to support her children that she was raising on her own. She had to send Emily away on more than one occasion just so she could make ends meet. She knew Emily didn't like some of the places she had to attend, but she was left with no other choice. We see this everyday, mothers raising their kids on their own. They sometimes have to take what they can get for daycare, most likely knowing that it's not the best situation for their child to be in. The story refers to daycares as merely parking places for children. (284) I couldn't have put it better myself. The sick part is that we pay money for that!
The central them in this story is motherhood. Mother tried her best to provide. She may have made some wrong decisions, which she only comes to realize a little too late. This theme is developed through Mother's recollection of events that lead to what we know as Emily. It is through mother's actions and decisions that Emily's development, both physically and mentally, is sacrificed. This poor child was delt a raw deal from birth. The husband leaves, and the mother is forced to go to work. Emily goes from place to place. She doesn't get the opportunity to grow with her mom. Instead, she is forced to grow on her own, the people who are caring for her don't love her.
I am a mother of two. My youngest is only six months old and I stay at home with him during the day and do school at night and online. Things are tight at times in our family but not for long. I choose to make that sacrifice because I refuse to pay somebody my hard earned dollars to put my baby in a high chair all day. As I stated initially, this story struck a nerve with me. The first person Emily had to stay with was a lady who didn't see her as the miracle her mother did. (284) It was downhill from there. I find it sickening as to how many children are mistreated in these pathetic daycares. When God created the family, I don't believe it was His intention to have the mother stay away and work full time so some other person can "raise" them. (You can't even call it that because how many daycares are there that actually raise your children as you would?)

No comments: