Monday, March 31, 2008

"Tim McGraw" by Taylor Swift

When I first read the question on page 871, I immediately thought of Taylor Swift’s song “Tim McGraw”. I definitely think that using Tim McGraw as an allusion works for her in this song. It helps to create a feeling of love and passion. I think it works so well because anyone who listens to country music knows of Tim McGraw and the passion he puts forth in his love songs. If you listen to his music, it makes you want to be in love and feel what he feels. It is that reason that Taylor Swift used him as an allusion in her song. If people know Tim McGraw’s music then they can have an even greater understanding of how she was feeling at that very point in time. I believe the lyrics go something to the effect of : “When you think Tim McGraw, I hope you think my favorite song. The one we danced to all night long, and then you’ll turn your radio on. I hope it takes you back to that place….” Later on in the lyrics she says that she hopes when he (unknown) thinks of Tim McGraw that he thinks of her. She obviously knows how powerful his music is and how powerful it was for them at that time and hopes that the man associates her with his powerful and passionate music. It also helps us as listeners to know how she was feeling.

No comments: