Saturday, May 24, 2008

A Rose for Emily

As a first impression of reading this story I found it to be very twisted. When the story first starts out the house being described sounded gorgeous. Then the story took its turn to a hole new viewing. Emily was called a Negro or nigger many times throughout the story. It seemed she was a stubborn woman because when the towns people were trying to collect taxes she would not reply with the letters or to the people who came for her. She was very set in her ways.
After Emily's father passed seemed to affect her the most. The story states that after his passing she went out very little, and after her sweetheart went away people barely saw her at all. The once beautifully described house has now been viewed as a rotten smelling dirty house, with a negro gray woman living inside. Neighbors began complaining of the smell. This is where in the story I started to see how she was perceived to be "crazy." I think this because After her father had passed she refused to believe it and for a few days would not let him be disposed of. Then her meeting of Homer and the special request for the arsenic poison. She had a special plan for this poison.
When Emily passed and the room was discovered with all the wedding memorabilia in it I never expected that they would find Homer in the bed. That added more onto the twisted story for me. That would explain the smell and why people thought of her as crazy. Overall the story was interesting. There were a few surprises that kept me interested in it and wanting to write about my first impression.

1 comment:

Jackie Lunneborg said...

I also read this article, it is amazing what medically seems impossible can become reality. I guess that we should never underestimate the human spirit. I had a patient once who doctors thought would not speak or be able to recover not long ago. He was a young man with small children, it was very sad. One day while I was in his room caring for him I told him about the weather outside and talked to him like I always did. Out of the blue when I was changing the tubing on his feeding tube, he spoke to me! I almost fainted, with tears in my eyes he looked at me and tried to hold a conversation. It was amazing, I think that was one of the greatest joys that I have been a part of. He defied all odds and has made a great recovery, his spirit and love for his family was not going to allow him to give up.