Monday, May 26, 2008

The Story of an Hour

This is a story of love lost and freedom regained through the eyes of a fragile woman named Louise. Knowing she has a heart condition, her sister Josephine and a family friend named Richards try to tell her of her husband's death. Even though they are leery about her health, they try to give her the news of the death as gently as they can. After she finds out, Louise locks herself in her bedroom and looks out her window. At this point I am feeling sorry for her loss, but upon further reading I discover that she isn't really sad at all.
I believe that Louise was a lonely sole who happened to be in a marriage that felt like a prison to her. I was able to really relate with her at this point, and I could imagine myself in her shoes. At a time in my life I too was willing to let my life go for the slight hope that what is in store for us after we die might be better than where I was. Marriage was not the wonderful thing that the people around me talked about, it was draining. Being able to relate with Louise on this made me stop and be thankful that I am still here and was able to try to live again. Unlike Louise, I didn't stick with my marriage that kept me confined, so we both ended up free but her freedom came at a price for the ones who love her.

No comments: