Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Lottery

Dear Diary,

It was a nice day today, summer has been good to us thus far. I went to the store today and everyone in town was looking forward to the lottery tomorrow, they were going to get the village square ready for the event. I am not sure what to think about the lottery anymore, in a way I like going, but I do worry so about our name being called. I am sure it will be fine, just like every other day. Tonight my husband Joe and I had to get the slips of paper ready for the lottery, so I helped count out 300 pieces out and Joe marked one of them with the dot. I better go get my rest for tomorrow, I will need my strength.

Dear Diary,

The lottery was today, it was a glorious day with beautiful weather, and Bill Hutchinson was the one who choose the slip of paper with the dot on it, so Tessie and the kids all had to go with Bill and see who would then get the slip with the dot on it for their family. Tessie said that "it isn't fair", she thought that Joe didn't give Bill enough time to pick out of the black box. I think that she was just worried for herself. Tessie ended up getting the dot and then she really thought that it was a mistake. I don't know if she would have rather had Bill or one of the kids get the dot than her, but it sure did seem like it. Some ladies in the village went for quite big rocks to start with, and others went for many small ones. All said and done, it turned out to be a good day, just like every other lottery day.

No comments: