Monday, February 2, 2009

"A Good Man is Hard To Find"

The only religious pretender in this story is the the grandmother. She pretends to the this righteous person, but instead is a very selfish person, who lies and is prejudice. She was selfish with wanting to have her son Bobby turn the car around and go look at a house with a secret panel with hidden silver. When realizing, the house was in a different state, she did not speak up to tell him. She was prejudice toward the the little colored boy calling him "picnicking" and "Niger". When the family met up with The Misfit, she only worried about herself. Stating, "You wouldn't shoot a lady" (pg 361) showing no remorse, as her family is being brought out to the woods and shot. When she reaches out to The Misfit, is the moment of grace for her "Your one of my babies, your one of my children". It's like she was asking for forgiveness, knowing she was going die. She had to die, to achieve grace.

The Misfit was the the one with true faith. While talking with the grandmother, she raised doubts with his beliefs with Jesus. When the grandmother talked about Jesus raising the dead, The Misfit said " if I would of been there I would of known and I wouldn't be like I am now". (pg 364) And in the last sentence, The Misfit said "It's no real pleasure in life". (pg 365) He got upset with Bobby Lee stating it was fun to have taken lives.

1 comment:

grateful76 said...

I agree with your thoughts on this story. I think they are quite close to my own. You even stated a few things that I had thought about. leah