Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Story of an Hour

In Story of an Hour by Kate Chopin, I feel that windows were opening up and promises of a better tomorrow were being made when reading paragraph 5(193) . It doesn’t move the plot along but it makes the reader think that when even in times of sadness, good things can be around the corner. All one has to do is open their window and smell the fresh smells of the earth, listen to the sounds around them and know that only blue skies are ahead. I think that this foreshadowing is what made me think that she was secretly glad her husband had died.
I think that “suspension of intelligent thought” means that Mrs. Mallard is finally taking in that her husband has died and she has to think hard about the fact that she is actually going to be free.
When Mrs. Mallard’s eyes stayed keen and bright, diminishing the vacant stare and look of terror (194) is the opposite of her being in a suspension of intelligent thought.
I choose the passage, “There would be no one to live for during those upcoming years; she would live for herself” (194). I chose this sentence because I can relate to it. Being a young wife and mother of three I sometimes wish myself back to simpler times when I only had to worry about myself. Taking care of a family brings on a lot more responsibility and stress than only making sure one’s self is happy.

No comments: