Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Story of an Hour

Mrs. Mallard's husband, Brentley Mallard, was said to be killed in a tragic railroad accident. She seemed to be sad but as a reader her joy was foreshadowed by words like "the delicious breath of rain was in the air" and "the notes of a distant song which some one was singing." (193) "Free, free, free" (194) was the words she mumbled as she rocked in her rocking chair. Mrs. Mallard had to be a woman in a very controlling relationship. She could have possibly been abused my her husband. She was absolutely overjoyed to know that she would spend the rest of her days without him in it. "She would live for herself" (194) which to me meant that she lived her life doing everything for him and nothing for herself. The line that got me the most was the one that said "and yet she had loved him-sometimes." (194) I just cannot imagine living my life the way Mrs. Mallard did. Spending everyday so miserable and unhappy would be so sad.

No comments: