Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Yellow Wallpaper

What happens to the protagonist in The Yellow Wallpaper is that she fulfilled the label of being crazy. Even though her sly husband did not directly come out and call her that. After hearing her husband talk to her like a child, “What is it, little girl?” (373) the narrator begins to have doubts of her mental stability.
The husband also tries to convince the narrator that she is not of a sound mind by telling her, “Can you not trust me as a physician when I tell you so?” (373) I think that by after spending so much time in a some-what confined room any person might start to have fanciful thoughts, maybe more so a women who has just given birth.
In the beginning of the story the narrator sounded sure of her self. Strong and upbeat, she kindly brushed aside her husband’s remarks. On page 374 the narrator says “I have no intention of telling him it was because of the wallpaper—he would make fun of me.” He might even want to take me away.” As I continued to read the story, the narrator’s belief in herself seemed to waver. By the end of the story she had to tear down the wallpaper to prevent herself from going crazy.

No comments: