Thursday, October 29, 2009

"My Last Duchess"

In "My Last Duchess" by Robert Browning, the speaker of the story is probably a real person that lived in that time frame, but obviously a Duke from the 17th-ish century. Some say that it was probably Alfonso II, the duke of Ferrara, whose wife died early in their marriage. The speaker obviously has an obsessive personalality, "Whene'er I passed her; but who passed without Much the same smile?" (44,45). He wished his wife sought after him abundantly and no-one else (showing a need to be worshipped). He is telling some other person probably someone who is affiliated with a prospect of a future wife, "That's my last Duchess painted on the wall, Looking as if she were alive. I call that peice a wonder[.]" (1,2,3) About this painting and gets side tracked, rambling on about his last wife's flaws: "too soon made glad" (22). This is obviously showing his frustation that all that he had done for his late wife, "My gift of a nine-hundred-years-old name" (33) Wasn't fully appreciated. It's obvious about his character, that this Duke has serious pride issues and it's assumed (by me) that this 'listener' would not be impressed.

No comments: