Saturday, October 31, 2009

Macho Man

If I were to re-write the poem “Barbie Doll” by Marge Piercy it would have the title of, “Macho Man.” I would use this title because this is the stereotype that men are given. Men are supposed to be emotionless and cold, not showing emotions, especially in public. Boys are given trucks, balls, bats, and toy guns to play with when they are young. Boys are supposed to be strong and fast and good at sports and hunting. Boys are not known to be bookworms or good at school work, they are to be athletic and tough. Boys are not taught to be sweat and kind; boys are cocky and speak strongly. Some images that I would present in a poem about boys would be the pressure that they feel to be strong and athletic. Also the shame that they feel when they want to show emotion, but it is not accepted as okay to do so. I would stay with the same informal diction that is used in “Barbie Doll,” I don’t think that a poem about boys would be any different in what diction would be used. I would make it clear in my poem that boys too, feel social pressure and are conscious of their body image just as girls. In the end of the “Barbie Doll,” when she is in her casket the people say, “Doesn’t she look pretty?” (991) The conclusion of my poem would be a man that dies to save someone and everyone says, “Wasn’t he brave and strong?”

No comments: