Monday, April 14, 2008

Thesis and Prewriting

I decided to compare "Do not go gentle into that good night" by Dylan Thomas and "Those Winter Sundays" by Robert Hayden. I liked how different the poems were in the way the relationships with their fathers were represented. It seems like Thomas was older when this poem was written, based on the word usage and overall description, while Hayden seems to be remembering his childhood, or else this poem was written when he was younger. The feelings each has towards their father are very different, and I find the contrast very interesting. The differences may have to do with the age the authors are writing about or wrote it at, I'm not sure. I want to compare the differences the authors had in their feelings/relationships with their fathers. When I answered the questions on page 877, I answered a question about positive and negative word, phrase (etc.) associations in each poem. For Hayden's poem there are not many positive and many negatives, while the opposite was true with Thomas' poem, I found many positives and only a few negatives. Answering those questions really helped me because they are not ones I would have thought to ask myself.

What I have thought up as a thesis so far is: Robert Hayden's "Those Winter Sundays" and Dylan Thomas' "Do not go gentle into that good night" both explain feelings toward their fathers; Hayden's shows a negative relationship, while Thomas' shows a positive one.

I am not sure if that is too long for a thesis, or if it is too broad? It also might be difficult to have people understand the differences in how the authors felt because it seems as though the poems were written in much different circumstances, as Hayden's was about daily childhood, and Thomas' was about his father dying.

No comments: