Sunday, April 13, 2008

Thesis Statement(s)

I am examining two thesis statements:
In the poems Mending Wall by Robert Frost and The Man He Killed by Thomas Hardy it seems both authors want us to ask ourselves “why as humans do we carry out a deed and as a result ponder the oddity of that deed?”
1. In Mending Wall the neighbors meet only to mend the wall, though the speakers wonders why is the wall even necessary?
2. In The Man He Killed the speaker sees that if it were not for war the man he killed would have been just another man to him.
I like this topic because it represents an important awareness to me: that humanity often act and think with opposing views. (maybe that should be my thesis????)
Not sure if I will be able to write a lot on this, but am willing to look into it.
In both poems To his Coy Mistress, by Andrew Marvell and Delight in Disorder by Robert Herrick both speakers attempt to justify their desire with the use of figurative language.
1. To his Coy Mistress the speaker uses hyperbole when he exaggerates time to convince his love that the time to love is now!
Delight in Disorder the speaker uses personification to make the object of his desire seem in control of his desire.
Although, I think the first thesis statement is more interesting to me personally, I may have more to write about with these two poems.
I like this topic because I think I could gather a lot of supporting evidence and both poems struck me as having speakers whom I would not want to hang around to much and surely would not want ogling me or trying to lure me into their paws. I figured this may give my writing a bit of bite.

3 comments:

Rita Summers said...

Your post is amazing .It helped me a lot in my research. I appreciate your work. I will come here again to see new updates. Thanks for posting.
law term papers

Ruth Robertson said...

This is certainly a mind boggling thing to ponder about. I think great thesis statement should be challenging and at the same time help with thesis writing. Anyway, I do hope people would learn some lesson with this post and maybe help them when they write their own thesis statement.

write my thesis for me said...

With thesis statements it becomes more easy for you to design a handy write work, and then with experience you become able to complete your thesis writings. write my thesis for me