Monday, November 17, 2008

Do not go gentle into that good night

This poem is very interesting. I think that because I believe in an eternal life after death here on earth, I do not totally agree with this poem. I am not scared to die because I'm excited to meet my King in heaven. Yet I can see the other side too, because death is scary and no one really wants to die, they want to fight with everything they've got. "Rage, rage against the dying of the light."(4) There is a rage against death, an unexplainable anger that makes people want to fight till their last breath, till their last drop of sweat, until they finally have to say "it's over", and give in. I don't quite see what's wrong with wanting to die, I don't mean this in any weird way, as in I want to die or anything. But when my time comes, I'll just have to except it because really there is nothing I can do to change it. I have a better place waiting for me on the side, so quite frankly, I could go anytime. It saddens me because the people talked about in this poem don't have anything to look forward to when they die. They must not know God as their personal savior because otherwise they would not be afraid and not want to die. "Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight" (13) These people are blind to what could await them on the other side. Because they haven't a clue of what to expect, and because of this, they don't want to. It makes sense, when you don't know what's going to happen, you don't want to go there. Can this be changed?

No comments: