Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Rose for Emily

As I read this story, it seemed clear to me that it was being told by a neighbor, perhaps even more than one, as if they were watching Emily from their front windows. I happen to like that this was written out of chronological order; it makes the reader more engrossed in the story. I found myself stopping to try and figure out what was going on and in what order things were really happening.
Even though Miss Emily Grierson seemed to be somewhat of a crazy old lady, I felt sorry for her. To me, she is misunderstood; the town talks about her as if she has no feelings but in reality she is longing for companionship like everyone else. For this reason she feels the need to kill Homer Barron. Emily couldn’t bear to be left again to be all alone; she felt that it was the only way to keep him with her. I love the ending when it is revealed how she would lay next to him; it shows that she really did love Homer. In a way she didn’t die alone, she had him with her.

1 comment:

suzi16 said...

I agree with you that she didn't die alone. She had Homer's memory and actually, his body with her--creepy but true. She was misunderstood and again, if people had just minded their own business maybe she would've felt better about herself and not had to resort to killing Homer and keeping his body that way. I just keep wondering why the black servant didn't say anything the whole time and how he could stand living there with a dead body! Yuk!