Sunday, November 1, 2009

Ozymandias

I think that the theme started at line three when they are standing in the desert. Usually desert represents open fields of sand which to me is empty and nothing really lasts in the desert without water or food. Further it talks about Ozymandias that is getting older and I would say is dying. Some of the symbolism is the remains around the decaying wreck, this to me means that it did not last. I look at the last line and get that maybe in the end everything ends up being flat and lifeless.

I did notice that Percy says the passions do not fade and are still there. Sometimes I look at my life and see that I have lots of things and not so much passions, I would hope I can get to the point of this poem and make sure I know what is important. I find it interesting that Ozymandias wants them to look at his work regardless of the despair that they are in. I take this as to not forget things that are important to you no matter what everyone else thinks.

I really like this poem, but I think that I need to read it more to really understand it because I feel like I am misinterpreting it in some way.

No comments: