Friday, June 27, 2008

“Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night”

This poem by Dylan Thomas to me is a person’s prayer to a dying father. The speaker doesn’t want his/her father to die, so they are saying even though wise men, good men, wild men, grave men have gone into the light, they are not ready or their father to go. Each stanza alternates its ending, it goes from “Rage, rage against the dying of the light” which to me sounds like they want him to fight and not give up and then the line “Do not go gentle into the good night” is their glimpse into reality and realizing that they may not make it no matter how hard they try.
The line “Do not go gentle into the good night” is a very popular phrase. I have heard it many places, before I knew it was from this poem. I must say that I enjoy this phrase better now that I know the rest of the poem and what the meaning is behind it.

No comments: