Monday, June 23, 2008

Stop all the Clocks, Cut off the Telephone

This was kind of a sad poem. I understood it as a woman who has just lost her husband or lover. If I am understanding the poem correctly according to this line "For nothing now can ever come to any good" to me is stating that life for her will no longer be happy. I believe this woman is stating that this now deceased loved one was everything to her as Auden writes, "He was my North, my South, my East, and West" he seemed to be her everything. This woman appears to be in mourning over someone she loved deeply. It seems she believes time and everyone should stop and pay respects to this man with silence. The saddest line I think is "Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun..." she does not seem to think she will find joy again.

JenN

No comments: