Monday, June 23, 2008

"The Man He Killed"

I liked this poem because there are so many people coming back from war right now that this is a simple little poem that reminds you about what is going on with them. I think the quotation marks are at the beginning of the stanza’s, because it seems to me that he is having a conversation with someone, but then ends up talking to himself more. Like he is reliving a memory and is talking out loud. He starts by saying that they could have been friends if they had met under different circumstances, but since it was the war he had to kill or he would have been killed himself.
The phrase “I shot him dead because- because he was my foe, Just so: my foe of course he was” He is telling himself that it was ok that he had to kill this other man it was what he was enlisted to do. This is what many people are running through their head when they have to shoot someone during a war.

No comments: