Monday, June 9, 2008

The Storm

Dear Kate Chopin,

I am writing to express my thoughts on your short story that I recently read, "The Storm". I think that this is a very interesting story with an unexpected turn. I found Bobinot to be a very nice gentleman and a seemingly good father. He seems to be the kind of man that most women of that time would love to marry and be very happy in their choosing to do so. Bibi is an adorable little guy who listens to his father very well and has respect for his mother too. These traits are hard to come by now days, so this was a refreshing change of pace to see a child with respect and love to share.

I was quite taken back when the story started to progress like the storm did, your choice of words that also depict what is taking place with the characters is great literature! It took me a little while to understand the meaning behind the importance of the storm in the story, but it plays an intricate part of the plot. You really caught me off guard with Alcee and Calixta, but the slight foreshadowing when she first saw him lead me to think something happened between them before. I wasn't shocked what happened between the two of them after the descriptions, but I am unsure about the ending of the story. What did you want to have the readers think at the end when Calixta acted as though nothing happened when the boys came home? I think that Calixta and Alcee should be ashamed of what they did, and I would have maybe liked to see Bobinot find out what she did. Even though he is a good man, maybe it would have been interesting to see the two of them struggle with what Calixta did and where the story would go from there. Although that makes me wonder a little, it was a great story and I will look forward to reading more of your work.

Sincerely,
Jackie Lunneborg

No comments: