Friday, April 10, 2009

Brainstorming

For my poetry essay I am thinking about comparing "Do Not go Gentle into that Good Night" to "Those Winter Sundays". These two poems speak volumes about the relationship between parent and child. Both of these poems show a glimpse of how different the parent child relationship can be. They are similar in that they both use a child as a speaker as well as talking about the speakers' fathers. The differences include that in "Do Not go Gentle", the speaker is talking about his father dying and in "Those Winter Sundays" the speaker is talking about how lonely he is and how he is resenting his father. Perhaps the focus of my essay will be on the disposition of the speaker (the child) towards their fathers. I will also talk about how the tone helps in getting the message across and sets the mood for the poems. Also, I will take into account that both of these poems say more about the children than the fathers they speak about.

No comments: