Saturday, April 11, 2009

"Topic Proposal" by Leah Siewert

War has always been interesting to me, that sounds weird.  My father was in the Vietnam War which I believe is what has sparked an interest for me.  I remember watching war movies with my dad and in the last 10 years or so he has told us stories that we never thought he would share, and sometimes wish he hadn't.  Because I have never been in a situation of being sent off to war and I see how my father still deals with the memories, nightmares, and PTSD is what drew me to compare "The Man He Killed" and "Dulce et Decorum Est". 

Both poems explain war.  "Dulce et Decorum Est" brings you deeper into the battle and the effects the war has had on the soldiers.  "The Man He Killed" states, "Had he and I but met By some old ancient inn, We should have sat us down to wet Right many a nipperkin" (710).    Overall the message you get is when at war you do what you have to do in order to survive.  "Men marched asleep," as stated in "Dulce et Decorum Est"  showing the reader they continued on as it was part of their mission, not to give up (887).  

Each poem carry's the tone of telling a story, how things are.  The writer's are not necessarily upset but they attempt to explain the best they know how to make the reader feel a part of the poem and understand the message they want to share.

No comments: