Monday, April 6, 2009

"My Last Duchess"

In this poem, the Dutch seems to me a very pompous, controlling, and jealous man. "This grew; I gave commands; Then all smiles stopped together" Browning (703). This statement from the poem shows the Dutch in poor light, definitely drawing a picture of him as controlling. He had made the Duchess very unhappy in his ways towards her and his jealousy, too, played a part.
"Strangers like you that pictured countenance, The depth and passion of it earnest glance, But to myself they turned (since none puts by The curtain I have drawn for you, but I)" Browning (703). This statement is a very strong one in showing he is in fact a jealous man. He had a painting done of the Duchess and has it hiding behind curtains that only he is allowed by his rules to open. He does not want anyone else to see her even though she is gone. This might also be tied in with him being on the pompous side.
People are getting married all the time and taking their husband's name, but not all of them say things as such: "She thanked men-good! but thanked Somehow- I know not how- as if she ranked My gift of a nine-hundred-years-old name With anybody's gift" Browning (703). His name is the biggest thing to him. She ought to be lucky to have his name in his eyes, as if his name is worth more than any other name, or she is.
Overall, his character is what one could call "shady". Definitely very self absorbed and thinking that all those around should have him on a pedestal.

No comments: