Sunday, September 27, 2009

I Stand Here Ironing

In “I Stand Here Ironing” by Tillie Olsen Emily’s mother feels that she has in some ways failed as a mother. She had to leave Emily many times as a young child because times were very tough. There was very little work for anyone, and she was a single mother trying to do everything she could to take care of Emily. She knows now that she somewhat knew that Emily was not being treated right when left in the care of others but she had no other choice. She feels that Emily was pushed aside many times also because of the other children and the responsibilities that Emily had taken on. I feel that Emily’s mom did everything she knew how to and that when she sent her away she had no other choice. I feel she was a good mother because she did everything she could to give her daughter the best life that she could give her. I like to think that I would never have left my child in a place where she was not getting the very best care but that was a different time and until you’re in that position you never know what you would do. Emily’s mother loved her.

No comments: