Monday, September 28, 2009

"The Storm"

Question 9 at the end of the story, "The Storm," by Kate Chopin poses the question whether or not the storm excuses the characters in any way for their actions in committing adultery. To answer this question, without a doubt, I have to say no. In my mind there is no good or reasonable excuse for adultery. The fact that the two were ex-lovers I think makes in even more inexcusable because obviously the two had been there before and they should not have feelings anymore beings that they both are married to someone else. I think that the most inexcusable part of the story was in part IV when Alce'e writes to his wife and tells her not to hurry back (259). It is like he is saying that he has already satisfied his sexual needs so she can take her time. Maybe he was hoping that he would have the chance with Calixta again while she was away, that was the impression that I got from this comment.

No comments: