Monday, January 18, 2010

Diagnostic Essay

My sister and I sitting were sitting outside of our family’s bus/camper at bear camp. It was warm and sunny at the flowing well in Kelliher, Minnesota. I was about ten years old and my sister, Ashley was nine. We were talking and laughing as we shucked the corn for lunch. Our dog was running around, enjoying the freedom to run. Many family friends were there loading four-wheelers and getting bait ready.
Every year my mom, dad, sister, and I would pack up our bus that my dad remodeled into a camper, and headed up to bear camp. At the time, my sister and I were too young to stay up until we got there, so we had to go to bed in the bunks in the back. The next morning we woke up at the flowing well at bear camp. It was like a second home to us. Ever since before I can remember, my family has been going to kelliher to go bear hunting. I have heard stories from my parents about my mom and dad going up there when my mom was pregnant with me.
Ashley and I always went with to bait. We would follow everyone else into the bait, my dad pointed out tracks and trails where the bears were coming in, and everyone discussed possible trees to set up a stand in for the hunt. My mom usually gave us (Ashley and I) tips on safety and what to do if we were to get lost. She always told us, and still does to this day, to bring a rope with every time in case we get lost so we can tie ourselves to a tree and wait for someone to find us, instead of freaking out and running. When I was old enough, my mom and dad took me with them when they went out to hunt. This is where I learned a lot about hunting.
Hunting together as a family has made my family a very close team. I really believe that hunting as a family brings a family closer together. It is a very good bonding experience. Spending time with family and friends in the outdoors enjoying nature, enjoying what God made for us is really an amazing experience. I am so great full that my parents have taught me so much about hunting and nature and animals and what hunting is all about. We still go to Kelliher every year to bear hunt.

No comments: