Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Most Memeroble Learning Experience

My most memorable learning experience would defiantly be when I worked at Eventide for my clinical to become a CNA. I had never been in a nursing home before this time, so it was a completely new experience. I would kind of explain it as a culture shock. I was only there for a couple of days, but I don’t think I will ever forget my experience there.
The first day I remember I was really kind of excited, even though I had to be there at five-thirty in the morning. I was exited to meet new people and even excited to wear my new pink scrubs. Since I had never been to a nursing home I didn’t know quite what to expect.
Through out the day I got to spend some time visiting with a couple of the residents. They really touched my heart. I think they really liked my company too. There was one fellow I especially will never forget. He had just come to the home that night from the hospital because he had fallen and was badly bruised. He really took a liking to me and would follow me around and did not want to sit at all. I took him to have coffee and cookies. He put his arm around me and asked me how I had gotten there and if I had a bike outside. He kept leading me to the door and said “if you get us out of here, I can buy the coffee and we can go to my place”. The sad part was that he was serious.
The whole experience really saddened me. I cried that night when I went home. I don’t think that the residents get enough attention. They need people to visit with for their emotional well being. I think the nursing homes should have employees there just to make their rounds and simply to visit or to read to the residents.
I now know I don’t ever want my family or myself to be in a nursing home, but sometimes there are no other options I guess. I also don’t think I want to work in a nursing home. On the other hand I have really been thinking that I would like to volunteer to visit or maybe to read to the residents if that’s possible. That would really make me feel good.

No comments: