Sunday, January 17, 2010

The most important thing I have done recently

One of the most important things I have recently done was going back to college to finish my education. This is something that I had promised my parents and myself that I would one day do, just didn’t realize at that time, how long it would take me.

Many things got in my way in the pursuit of a college education. Having a family, working full-time, money, time, and of course procrastination. The old saying, “You are your own worst enemy”, comes to mind. I had every excuse in the book, but I had an inspiring older sister, who went back, and is now finishing up on her masters, to give me a swift kick –if she could do it, so could I.

Before I even discussed it with my husband, Chris, I went and talked with an advisor at MSCTC, to see what was available through online courses. I figured this was the one way that I could make it work in my busy life. I found out what I needed to do: Apply for school, then financial aid, and the next thing I new I was a college student again, after just a few years (okay, try twenty years).

My family was wonderful and very supportive about my decision. It did take a little work, to have them all help a bit more around the house. Sometimes, they feel a bit neglected, but we are all getting used to me having study time. I didn’t let anyone from work know about my going back to school until after I had completed my first semester. I wanted to prove to myself first that my school didn’t interfere with my job. They too have been supportive to my endeavors.
Finally, I had to conquer my love of procrastination. Fortunately for me, I have been working on it for years. I find that tackling the toughest perceived assignment first is a great stepping stone to my success.

Now here today, I am happy to say that I am in the last semester of my first college goal, and will graduate with an Associate of Science degree in Human Resources. I do plan on continuing on with my education in the pursuit of a Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management.

No comments: