Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My most memorable learning experience would defiantly be when I worked at Eventide for my clinical to become a CNA. I had never been in a nursing home before this time, so it was a completely new experience. I would kind of explain it as a culture shock. I was only there for a couple of days, but I don’t think I will ever forget my experience there.

The first day I remember I was really kind of excited, even though I had to be there at five-thirty in the morning. I was exited to meet new people and even excited to wear my new pink scrubs. Since I had never been to a nursing home I didn’t know quite what to expect.

Through out the day I got to spend some time visiting with a couple of the residents. They really touched my heart. I think they really liked my company too. There was one fellow I especially will never forget. He had just come to the home that night from the hospital because he had fallen and was badly bruised. He really took a liking to me and would follow me around and did not want to sit at all. I took him to have coffee and cookies. He put his arm around me and asked me how I had gotten there and if I had a bike outside. He kept leading me to the door and said “if you get us out of here, I can buy the coffee and we can go to my place”. The sad part was that he was serious.

The whole experience really saddened me. I cried that night when I went home. I don’t think that the residents get enough attention. They need people to visit with for their emotional well being. I think the nursing homes should have employees there just to make their rounds and simply to visit or to read to the residents.

I now know I don’t ever want my family or myself to be in a nursing home, but sometimes there are no other options I guess. I also don’t think I want to work in a nursing home. On the other hand I have really been thinking that I would like to volunteer to visit or maybe to read to the residents if that’s possible. That would really make me feel good.

1 comment:

Hannah Jo said...

Your post touched my heart! I too am in the nursing field. I agree with you that there should be people that just walk around and talk with those who want to talk. It is sad that as nurses, we do not have very much time to spend just talking.