Sunday, January 31, 2010

"A Good Man is Hard to Find"

I think that the religious “pretender” is The Misfit. On page 363 the book says, “’If you would pray,’ the old lady said, ‘Jesus would help you.’ ‘That’s right,’ The Misfit said. ‘Well then, why don’t you pray?’ she asked trembling with delight suddenly. ‘I don’t want no hep,’ he said. ‘I’m doing all right by myself.’” (O'Connor, 363) The book also says on page 363, “’Yes’m,’ The Misfit said as if he agreed. ‘Jesus thown everything off balance.” (363) This tells me that The Misfit believed that Jesus messed everything up and that he was better off on his own. I think that the old woman had true faith because she was constantly telling him to pray and she believed that The Misfit was really a good man on the inside. All he had to do was pray with her.
The Misfit does end up gaining a moment of religious grace near the end of the story. However, as the old woman touches him on the shoulder, The Misfit shoots her three times in the chest, thus erasing any idea that he might change. The book states on page 364, “’I wasn’t there so I can’t say He didn’t,’ The Misfit said. “I wisht I had of been there,’ he said, hitting the ground with his fist. ‘it ain’t right I wasn’t there because if I had of been there I would of known. Listen, lady,’ he said in a high voice, ‘if I had of been there I would of known and I wouldn’t be like I am now.” His voice seemed about to crack and the grandmother’s head cleared for an instant. She saw the man’s face twisted close to her own as if he were going to cry and she murmured, ‘ Why you’re one of my babies. You’re one of my own children!’ She reached out and touched him on the shoulder. The Misfit sprang back as if a snake had bitten him and shot her three times through the chest.” (364) The Misfit almost breaks down as if he hates what he has become and unfortunately when the grandmother realizes this, The Misfit’s violent instincts take over and she pays with her life.

No comments: