Monday, February 1, 2010

A & P

In John Updike’s story, “A & P,” there are a lot of different aspects brought out about woman and how they should be treated better, just in a more subtle way. I would have to say a lot of this story goes towards “feminist protest,” after all, Sammy did quit his job to stick up for those girls; or to impress them more or less. “You didn’t have to embarrass them,” (Updike 223) Sammy utters to his boss. Just by him saying that to a higher authority at his place of work really shows that he has the courage to stick up for these girls, and that is a huge protest in my eyes. As this story unfolds, there are quite a few things that struck me towards thinking Sammy may quit. I think it irritated him that his boss hides in the “Manager” office all day while everyone else is working. “He didn’t like me smiling—as I say he doesn’t miss much – but he concentrates on giving the girls that sad Sunday school superintendent stare” (Updike 222), this just shows me how cold- hearted this man is; one can’t even crack a smile in his presence. Lengel portrays a mean man in this story, especially when he continues to yell at these girls in front of customers; “After this come in here with your shoulders covered. It’s our policy” (Updike 223), that is just indecent to yell in front of paying customers. One needs to show some respect, considering he is the role model and manager in this store. I don’t blame Sammy for quitting his job. I wouldn’t want to work for a man like that either. I believe that Sammy had an epiphany in this story. “Looking back in the big windows, over the bags of peat moss and aluminum lawn furniture stacked on the pavement, I could see Lengel in my place in the slot, checking the sheep through.” (Updike 224) I believe it was right there where Sammy realized that he could have potentially ended up in that same spot that Lengel was standing right then; working at the A & P, “checking sheep through” forever. He realized the world would be hard at this point, but it would be worth it.

No comments: