Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My Relationship With Poetry

What do I think of poetry? I started thinking how reading poetry is kind of like a relationship with a guy. To put it simply, sometimes you love them and totally get it, and sometimes you just don't know what their point is or why you waste your time. My feelings towards poetry are very similar. In the past, I have found poems that really moved me and stirred a longing within to have same ability to capture such incomprehensible things, such as thoughts and feelings, in lines of black and white words. Other times, I have become frustrated with the vagueness or my own inability to find any meaning in a certain line or the entire work. But, I've learned it's the same with guys and poetry, you can always appreciate them for their unique ability to distract and entertain you, whether or not you fully understand their message. Keeping an open mind also helps!

No comments: