Saturday, March 14, 2009

Poetry

I have always enjoyed reading poetry, but for some reason I have not read any for a long time. I like that they are full of emotion, and a lot of poems that I have enjoyed the most relaxed me when I read them. Some I have read, did not made any sense. I did not enjoy reading those kind of poems. I just hoped that I do not have to read the type that I don't enjoy, for this class. So far they have been good, and I had not heard any of them before. As a teenager, I did read a lot of poetry and I had always thought that music seemed like poetry because it is so expressive and has a rhythm, just like poetry does. So far I have not learned anything new about it , but I am curios to see if I do.

Of the poems that I have read so far for this class, I enjoyed reading "So Mexicans are Taking Jobs from Americans" by Jimmy Santiago Baca. I found it interesting to find a subject like this written as a poem because it seemed like it would have made a great article in a magazine or newspaper. But then I figured it would have lost some of it power. It was a very emotional poem and obviously the speaker had strong feelings about this subject. I related to the speaker because I don't think that it is fair to say someone can not come to America to work. America is a mixture of people from all over that came here to find a better life, or work, when they could not find it where they were from. Mexicans may have jobs here, but they also spend money here which creates the need for business, and business creates more jobs. I am glad to see someone find a creative way to express their feelings on a subject like this.

No comments: