Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Poetry and Me

I am very excited about entering the poetry section of this class as I find poetry extremely interesting. Unfortunately I don’t have that much experience writing poems other than recently writing my son a poem on his Valentines card, although it was the classic Roses are Red, Violets are Blue... he loved it. Reading it, on the other hand, I do have some experience with. When I was pregnant with my first child, my husband would read poems to my belly each night so I got familiar and started to enjoy poetry. I do find some poems intimidating due to the deeper meaning that I sometimes don’t get. I went in to this unit with an open mind and just started reading; I remembered a lot of what I read but also learned new things as well. Growing up, I had always thought of poetry as this romantic thing, only to have found out that it can be a platform for people to express their opinions on many other things besides love: politics, war, culture, and the environment. It can be pretty powerful.

No comments: