Friday, March 13, 2009

Poetry Experiences

I have had some experience with poetry, but not a whole lot. I went to a small high school and there wasn't much emphasis on poetry. I had one class that had anything to do with poetry and we didn't spend a whole lot of time on it. That class was my sophmore year so there isn't a whole lot that I remember about it. I like simple poems that are easy to read and understand and I like poems that rhyme because I find them easier to read and understand. I like to find the rhythm in a poem too. I find poetry intimidating because it's not all laid out for the reader. The reader of poetry has to actually think and try to find meaning behind it. I ended up reading through a few of the poems from this unit more than once because I didn't get a whole lot out of them after reading them only once. Based on my past experiences with poetry, I have mixed feelings about it. Some of the longer poems I found tougher than the shorter ones so that part was confirmed, but because of the poem "Jump Cabling," I was reminded that not all poetry is hard to interpret. I have mixed feelings about the rest of the units on poetry, but I am going to give it my best shot!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, don't have that much experience with poetry. However, I like to read things that make me dig deep to find the message or meaning that is intended. I'm sure you will do just fine with this unit, and by the way, "Jump Cabling" was one of my favorites too.