Thursday, May 29, 2008

A&P

If I were to write a diary entry for this story, I would choose “Queenie”, this would be my entry.

Dear Diary,

It was beautiful outside today, it was so hot the girls and I decided to go swimming. I got out my old pink swim suit, threw my hair in a bun and a way we went. We had a great time; it was one of those days that you are just glad to be where you are and wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. Mom sent us to the store to get some herring snacks for her; it was so hot we didn’t change out of our swimsuits for the quick trip to the store. The old ladies who were shopping in the store looked like they had never seen a girl in a swim suit before; I think that they are just jealous that we don’t care what we look like. I am not ashamed of the way I dress, so they shouldn’t care either! The great day got a little crazy when the store manager told us that we were not dressed appropriately. I think that he too needs to undo a notch or two on his belt. It was embarrassing when he told us that we were not at the beach, everyone stared at us, and at that time I did wish we were anywhere but there! These people in town are uptight, I don’t see what is wrong with young girls wearing a swim suit to pick up a few things from the store, and it wasn’t like we went to church that way. The cashier seemed like a nice boy, he wasn’t bad looking either. I think that he was embarrassed for us too, he looked a little mad about what his boss said. I am not sure why he would work at such a place; I can’t see that he would like his job at all. Looking at those women with the curlers in their hair all day asking what is on sale would drive me crazy. I am glad that I don’t have to wait on those people; I would want a job where I could wear what I want and not those silly little bow ties. The all look alike, they have no individuality, I am glad that my friends and I are unique. Even if they don’t like the way we dress or act, I am pleased with how I look. I will not let that man’s comments make me feel bad, we did nothing wrong. I just wish that I could have been able to talk to the check out boy a little. The manager’s crude comments wrecked any chance we would have had to talk a little. Oh well, just another day, maybe tomorrow will be more interesting.

No comments: