Saturday, May 31, 2008

A Good Man Is Hard to Find

My first impression of this story was great. I was really interested in starting to read it. It made me remember my past and trips my family would take and how my sister and I fought in the back seat most of the way.
Little John seems to be very bright for an eight year old boy. I say this because of some of the comments he makes throughout the story. While they are in the car he says, "Lets go through Georgia fast so we won't have to look at it much." "Tennessee is just a hillbilly dumping ground, and Georgia is a lousy state too." Some strong opinions for such a young boy. I seemed to get a kick out of June Star. She seemed to back up whatever her brother said. Whether he was bashing a state or arguing with grandma.
While reading the story I asked myself a few times why it was called A Good Man Is Hard to Find? It wasn't until the end of the story that I figured it out. While they were at Red Sammy's Red made that first comment and then at the end of the story it all made sense. Grandma seemed to have so much trust for others and wanted to believe in them and to find out she got killed was a huge turning point for me. I never thought that was how the story would end. I really thought at the end of the story they would make it back home and the new mileage would be talked about and how long it took them on their trip. On the other hand this story kept me on my toes and I wanted to keep reading. It goes to show that every story can have different endings.

1 comment:

Jackie Lunneborg said...

I too think that this story was a good one, although I am a little confused with the ending. The dialogue toward the ending between The Misfit and Grandma was a little hard to follow for me, especially the phrase “Why you’re one of my babies. You’re one of my own children!” I think that she may have been explaining what Jesus may have said to him, but I am not sure, still trying to figure that out. I do think that this story did have a bunch of men that were quite rough around the edges, making the title fit quite well. Red Sammy seemed to be this great hearty man with an infectious laugh by the billboards, but when they met him he seemed to be a demanding chauvinistic man. Bailey was not the most pleasant gentleman either; everything out of his mouth was negative or condescending. John Wesley seems to be a typical young boy, although he may be an old soul with some of his quick witted comments. The Misfit of course had his share of issues, “It’s no real pleasure in life”, sums up his feelings toward the world. He doesn’t seem to have a conscious, a cold hearted murderer. So, if you take a look at these men, the title does make sense, the Misfit even tries to depict Jesus as a man who isn’t worthy of his name. I was quite surprised that everyone was killed in the end, which was a shocker. I guess I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt that he wouldn’t kill innocent children, but if Grandma would have kept her mouth shut for once in her life maybe, just maybe, they would not have ended up where they did, and dead.