Sunday, September 7, 2008

A Rose for Emily

In William Faulkner’s “A Rose for Emily,” the ending is kid of disturbing to me like when they break down the door to the room that hadn’t been opened for a while. The passage that I first made me picture a dusty room was, “A thin, acrid pall of the tomb seemed to lie everywhere upon this room decked and furnished as for a bridal…..Among them lay collar and tie, as if they had just been removed, which, lifted, left upon the surface a pale crescent in the dust…… The man himself lay in the bed.” I can picture a bedroom with a chair, a dressing table, and a bed that are all full of dust. I picture the man’s toilet things on the dressing table are tarnished silver. Then the bed with the man in, “What was left of him, rotted beneath what was left of the nightshirt, had become inextricable from the bed in which he lay: and upon him and upon the pillow beside him lay that even coating of the patient and biding dust.” That is kind of gross to me because how could you let someone rot like that and even thinking how bad that would have to smell.

No comments: