Sunday, September 7, 2008

"The Story of an Hour"

When I first started reading "The Story of an Hour" I thought it was going to be a story about the reaction of a loving wife to the new that her beloved husband had been involved in a railroad accident that killed him. Mrs. Mallards' initial reaction to this new was that "she wept at once, with sudden, wild abandonment, in her sisters arms". When she was finally alone though, she took a look outside through a window and saw all these happy and wonderful sights and she wispered "over and over under her breath: Free, free, free!" Then I began to realize that instead of a loving wife grieving for her dead husband, she was actually an abused wife who was, in a way, grateful that she would never again be abused by her husband and she is now free to do what she wants to do. But at the end of the story there is a huge twist, Mr. Mallard walks through the front door, it turns out he hadn't even known about the railroad accident. When Mrs. Mallard sees him standing there she colapses and due to heart trouble dies right there. I feel she died from shock that her husband is still alive and she would have to endure abuse once again. I never saw this ending coming and it actually surprised me. I really enjoyed this story.

No comments: