Monday, September 8, 2008

"A Rose for Emily"

When reading "A Rose for Emily", I took a few things out of it. First off , I believe Emily was mentally ill and could have used some help from friends or neighbors. To me it seemed like no one cared and would try thier best to avoid her, when clearly she could have used some guidance and mental stability. Homer Barron seemed to do some good to her and probably kept her alive for longer had he not been introduced into her life. I found it very descriptive at the end when the author describes the break in into Emily's home. Talking about the dust and cob webs and rotting flesh really set the area and showed how disgusting the house was. I personally thought the house was a huge metaphor for describing Emily. The townspeople described it as being an "eye-sore" but just like Emily, it was a tradition of the town. It was out of place and disorderly, but it kept people talking just like Emily did. Overall I didn't care too much for this short story and wouldn't recommend it to many people.

No comments: