Monday, September 8, 2008

The Story of an Hour

"The Story of an Hour” turned out totally different than I had expected it to be from reading the first couple of sentences. I thought that when Mr. Mallard was told about her husband it was going to be what killed her since she “was afflicted with a heart trouble”. I couldn’t image being in such a fragile state and then having to find out horrible news like that; it would be really hard to take. I then thought she was grieving since she just found out about her husband’s death, but then she said “free, free, free”. This took me back and then I realized she was unhappy with her marriage and felt relived and free to be finally out of it. I did not see this happening, but what I really didn’t see coming was what happened next. Mrs. Mallard’s husband was shockingly still alive. Then, the shock of seeing her husband alive killed her. I felt horrible! I thought that she might die since her heart trouble, but not that way. This story was filled with many twists and turns that I was not at all expecting.

1 comment:

gloria_nelson said...

I was also pretty shocked with the ending too. I wasn't expecting it! But when she said "Free! Body and soul free!" I kind of got the impression too that she wasn't happy with her previous life with her husband. That was a red flag. And when she was glancing out the window she realized for the first time that there was a lot more freedom than what she was used to.