Monday, September 8, 2008

"A Rose for Emily"

When I read "A Rose for Emily", I felt sorry for Emily. It seemed to me like the whole town was intrigued and jealous of her and her family's name. It seemed like the town wanted to take her down a few notches. This may of been for her family's wealth in the past. The town felt a need or the right to be in her business and watching her every move. They seemed to get pleasure from her being alone and unhappy. I think Miss. Emily always wanted to be married, although her father didn't want her to be. I believe she was with Homer Barron to fulfill her need and to have someone. I think this also kept the towns people guessing. I believe she killed him to honor her father's wishes that she remain and keep the Grierson family name. Miss. Emily was the last of her kind "A tradition, a duty, and a care; a sort of hereditary obligation upon the town, dating from that day in 1894."

No comments: