Monday, September 8, 2008

"The Story of an Hour"

In the "Story of an Hour" I felt that I knew something bad was going to happen within the first sentence.  "Knowing that Mrs. Mallard was afflicted with a heart trouble" I believe this foreshadowed that something was going to go wrong later on in the story. If it is being mentioned right away in the story it must have a great deal of significance.  I also became emotionally attached to the character, I had a great deal of empathy towards Mrs. Mallard. I originally thought that the news of her husband was going to be what killed her but to my dismay it wasn't. It twisted at the end, at first I had a sigh of relief when I found out that her husband was in fact still alive. I felt happy for Mrs. Mallard and that it was going to end well but instead the complete opposite of what I thought happened. She was so shocked that her husband was alive that it killed her. If only her husbands name wasn't mistakenly on the list, she might have still been alive. It ended up turning into a tragedy. What was suppose to be a happy ending in fact wasn't.

1 comment:

K. Peterson said...

I think you are right. What was going to be a happy ending for Mrs. Mallard, did turn out the be a tragedy. I think although she was sad to hear about the death of her husband, she didn't realize how much joy and relief she would feel. "Her pulse beat fast, and the coursing blood warmed and relaxed every inch of her body".
The last sentence reveals the true tragedy for Mrs. Mallard, "When the doctors came they said she had died of heart disease- of job that kills".